Okay, summer’s over. Got that mother nature? School buses are back on the roads. Kids are back in school. And in one final attempt to make mother nature realize that I wanted it to be winter this week, I went ahead and cooked up a big batch of my TVP chili, something I don’t usually do when it’s 90+ degrees and 90%+ humidity outside. And yet, it’s still hot out. Ah well…
In the personal finance community, there’s one additional marker to the end of summer and that’s the annual nominations for the Plutus Awards. These are awards that let readers show which blogs they read and appreciate. There’s only one round of voting (though for some reason it’s called nominating), so feel free to participate and vote for your favorite PF blogs in a huge variety of categories over here. And bonus points for anyone who can tell me a (plausible) explanation for why the awards are called “Plutus”.
Love From Others
- This week Mr CBB from Canadian Budget Binder was kind enough to include PoP in his weekly Making A Difference profile. Check it out in CBB Saturday Review.
- Our post on our recent Home Value Update Using Market Comps was included in the Financial Independence Carnival over at Reach Financial Independence, in the Swanky Carnival of Retirement at Money Soldiers, in the Financial Carnival for Young Adults at Mom and Dad Money, and in Weekend Link Love at My FI Journey.
- Mr PoP’s post on getting a job in sales as a humanities graduate was included in the Yakezie Carnival over at Debt Roundup.
- The inaugural post in our Pimp the PoP’s Garage series, was included in the Lifestyle Carnival over at Consumer Fu.
- Mr CBB at Canadian Budget Binder included our July 2013 Income Statement in his Weekly Grab a Brew.
- Matt over at Mom and Dad Money tracked down an old favorite of ours, How We Bought A $50K Duplex, and mentioned it in his post, With Investing the Grass Is Rarely Greener On The Other Side.
- Million Dollar Diva included our post on The Mystical Qualities of Cash in her Weekend Wrap Up.
- And Mama PoP’s first post on the site, The Gift of Time, was mentioned by Budget and the Beach in What’s Your Money Mindset? and in the DQYDJ Weekender at Don’t Quit Your Day Job.
Thanks so much to everyone for sharing our posts. =)
Love For Others
- My favorite article the past couple weeks is Matt’s (from Mom and Dad Money), writing over at the new joint venture Economag in Am I A Hypocrite For Liking Kanye West? Matt seems to sense a disconnect in his love of the beats and rhythms and emotions of the rap artists’ music and the values that Matt works to embody in his daily life. Personally, I think Matt’s being too hard on himself here. This was the comment I left on his post: “I can’t identify with rap (heck, I couldn’t even pick out a Kanye West song if my life depended on it), but I don’t think the lyrics of a song need to define you. If that were the case, it would have been VERY weird that my favorite song in elementary school was about a woman who murdered her paramour and then was strung up and hung by a lynch mob.” And if anyone can name what song that is, I’ll be very impressed. Such a great song, yet no one ever knows it!
- Over at Disease Called Debt, A Little Perspective Went A Long Way when her young child toppled into a river. Debt and financial problems can seem pretty trivial in an emergency like that. And luckily, everyone is fine.
- And lastly, Sunk Costs Are Irrelevant posted the end results of his Investment In The World Series of Poker. Long story short, he purchased a share in a professional poker player’s tournament winnings for the summer, and his investment didn’t go all that well.