Love From Others
We still feel like we’re just getting started here at Planting Our Pennies, but it’s worth mentioning that we did get a little love from some other financial blogs for the first time this week. Yay!
- Our post How We Decided to Self Insure was highlighted by My Personal Finance Journey in the Carnival of Personal Finance.
- It was also highlighted in the weekly roundup by The Simple Dollar!
Love For Others
There were quite a few great posts by some top-notch bloggers that we ran across this week, but one of the themes that stuck out to us was the discussion of buying vs. renting when it comes to where you live.
- Our post from Friday, Our Diversified Real Estate Portfolio, made it pretty clear which end of this continuum we fall on, but there were some other views out there that are worth taking a look at as well.
- Kraig over at Young Cheap Living wrote 6 Reasons To Not Buy A House Even If You Can Afford It, playing devils advocate for why you should rent as long as possible. I think he makes some big assumptions there, but it’s a good post for people considering to jump into buying a house or not.
- Over at I am 1 Percent, you’ve got the complete opposite opinion with Buying Beats Renting in Most of US. Though he starts out his analysis with stats from Zillow (if you read our post Why Zillow Sucks you’ll understand why we think that’s a shaky starting point for any analysis), he still makes some good points about long term affordability when it comes to comparing renting to a home purchase.
- Ready For Zero hosted a Smart Money Debate on the topic between Carrie at Careful Cents and Michelle from Making Sense of Cents where they discussed the relative benefits of renting and buying.
- Greg at Club Thrifty tossed his 2 pennies into the mix with Buying a House vs. Renting: What’s the Right Call?
- And even Get Rich Slowly got in on the fun as well with staff writer Sarah Gilbert opining Is Now a Good Time to Rent?