Welcome to our September 2013 Balance Sheet!
We use the structure of a monthly income statement and balance sheet in tandem to make sure we are keeping our expenses low and planting our pennies wisely. If you’re not already tracking your finances using these two methods, go to mint.com and get started today! If you have any questions about how we do this just post a comment and we’ll be sure to help!
Some strong growth in the market in September carried our retirement account balances higher, which led to most of the increases. We’ll see how many of those gains we’ll be able to keep through all this crazy government shutdown and debt ceiling drama. Other than that, though, this is another relatively boring month in the grand scheme of things.
So for the month of September:
- Our total assets went up by $16.4K
- Our total liabilities went up by $0.3K (just a function of when the credit cards are getting paid)
- Net worth rose by about $16.1K
- Total net worth as of the end of September is $585.2K, which represents a 2.8% increase this month.
And for the details…
Why do we look at our assets and liabilities split up this way? For us, it’s an easy way to look across all the different categories of assets and see which ones we have equity in, and how much equity. If the Assets bar is taller than the Liabilities bar, that’s equity in that asset class.
- 401K accounts: $138.7
- Roth IRA accounts: $118.5
- Non-Retirement Stock Accounts: $0.6
- Total Stock Accounts: $257.8
Real Estate (based on current market comparable sales)
- Primary Residence $215
- Investment Duplex: $97
- Investment Residential Land: $80
- Total Real Estate: $392.0
Cars (values from Kelly Blue Book)
- Car 1: $8.2
- Car 2: $11.3
- Total Cars: $19.5
- Checking Accounts: $10.5
- Savings/Money Market Accounts: $7.5
- Total Cash Holdings: $18.0
Total Assets: $687.3
Real Estate Loans
- Primary Mortgage: $100.4
- HELOC on Investment Duplex: $0.0
- Personal Loan – Used to Purchase $50K Duplex: $0.0
- Total Real Estate Related Loans: $100.4
- Credit Card Balance: $1.7
- Total Revolving Credit: $1.7
Total Liabilities: $102.1
Net Worth = Assets – Liabilities
Net Worth = $585.2, up 2.8% from August
How’s everyone else’s balance sheet looking this month?
* Note – the original post accidentally overstated our cash balances by $3K. Sorry guys, finger slip on the calculator. I’ve corrected it now.