Okay. So this month’s balance sheet looks like it’s tons better than last month’s, but there’s a caveat to it. It looks more impressive largely because we recognized a $27K increase in the market value of our duplex this month after reviewing some recent comparable sales. The increase wasn’t in one big $27K jump the way we just noted it, but it’s been a trend over the last year that has gained momentum in recent months to get us where we are – at a $97K market value for our $50K duplex.
We’ve gone through the basics of calculation a market comps valuation in our Determining A Home’s Value series, but we’ll do an update with how exactly we calculated the update to the duplex’s value in a post pretty soon as the duplex was overdue for a full comps treatment. Be on the lookout for it.
- Our total assets went up ~$30.1K with 90% of that coming from recognizing the increase in the duplex’s value.
- Our total liabilities dropped by ~$4.5K, so they are steadily moving in the right direction, too.
- Net worth rose by about $34.6K which is a whopping 9.7% increase for the month. If only we could Annualize That!
- Total net worth as of the end of October is $391.5K.
And for the details…
Why do we look at our assets and liabilities split up this way? For us, it’s an easy way to look across all the different categories of assets and see which ones we have equity in, and how much equity. If the Assets bar is taller than the Liabilities bar, that’s equity in that asset class.
- 401K accounts: $80.1
- Roth IRA accounts: $90.4
- Non-Retirement Stock Accounts: $0.6
- Total Stock Accounts: $171.1
Real Estate (based on current market comparable sales)
- Primary Residence $170
- Investment Duplex: $97 — Note this is an increase from September 2012 – expect a post with our updated duplex comps valuation soon!
- Investment Residential Land: $80
- Total Real Estate: $347
Cars (values from Kelly Blue Book)
- Car 1: $8.9
- Car 2: $13.1
- Total Cars: $22.0
- Checking Accounts: $10.2
- Savings/Money Market Accounts: $21.5
- Total Cash Holdings: $31.7
Total Assets: $571.8
Real Estate Backed Loans
- Primary Mortgage: $106.0
- HELOC on Investment Duplex: $15.5
- Total Real Estate Backed Loans: $121.5
Personal Loans (Unsecured)
- Personal Loan from Family Members: $50.0
- Total Personal Loans: $50.0
- Car 1: $0.0
- Car 2: $7.4
- Total Car Loans: $7.4
- Credit Card Balance: $1.4
- Total Revolving Credit: $1.4
Total Liabilities: $180.3
Net Worth = Assets – Liabilities
Net Worth = $391.5