If 2015 was the year of major home renovations – which saw us installing solar panels and spending the bulk of the total that we’ll spend on our major home renovations, then 2016 was the year of travel. I used every single one of my 25 PTO days before Thanksgiving this year, and Mr PoP used almost as much as I did!
2016 Spending Goals
We started the year with a plan to spend:
- $45.5K on “personal spending, excluding
- another $3.6K on finishing our remodel,
- and set aside/spend another $18K on a “fun car” for Mr PoP.
But when a couple of weeks into January we found out we were going to go to Hawaii, and that I could attend the Chautauqua in Ecuador, we ended up nearly doubling the planned travel spend for the year by extending the Hawaii trip by nearly two weeks, getting me to Ecuador, and Mr PoP to Burning Man, with a few other getaways along the way.
2016 Actual Spending
- $47,959 on “personal spending”, excluding the
- $3.3K on the remodel (so $51,302 total),
- and we set aside $18,000 in a savings account for Mr PoP’s fun car, but have yet to spend it.
Travel’s really the biggest outlier here, and we ended up being able to dial back in a couple other areas to partially offset the extra ~$4K we spent there.
Where Did The Money Go?
- Eating Out: $2,696
- Total Food – $7,209 – 14% of the total. We had actually increased our food budget to $650/month for the year, but found as the kitchen became more usable it wasn’t needed as much as thought!
- Mortgage: $13,801 – of which ~$6.7K is principal reduction
- Home Maintenance and Repairs: $2,650
- Renovations – $3,343: I wish we were done, but we’re not quite there. Getting closer all the time, though -and due for an update pretty soon!
- Bills for Primary Residence: $1,952 – this is my cell phone, water, sewer, internet, and the fixed fee for keeping us connected to the electric grid while our solar panels provided 100% of our electricity use!
- Total Home: $21,746 – 42% of our total spending this year
- Gas: $1,996 – lower than last year, mostly due to gas prices being lower
- Auto Repairs: $1,162 – not bad for a car that now has almost 140K miles on it!
- Car Insurance – $661
- Registration & Tickets: $305 – lest we relive the unluckiest Friday, here Mr PoP’s illegal U-turn ticket makes an appearance
- Rental Transport: $11 – an uber for a morning when the car wouldn’t start and we had urgent transportation needs!
- Total Automotive Transportation: 4135, 8% of our total spending
General Shopping: $4,744, which amazingly contains more than $1,000 spent on shoes for the two of us for the year. That’s a tad more than what we normally spend on shoes. =P
- Pet Care: $259 – an inexpensive year for Kitty PoP, as he remained healthy and happy with very little
- Total Shopping: $5,003 – 9.8%
- Medical Treatments and Rx: $1,732 – Mr PoP was quite healthy, so most of this was me, as my foot gave me major problems the whole year (hence much of the shoe spending) and I ended up having foot surgery in the fall, and was ~3.4% of our spending
- Gym/Fitness: $952 – lower than past years as my foot kept me from signing up for more races that I would have liked to have done
- Media Sub: $96 – Good ole’ Hulu
- Media Non-Sub: $53
- Total Fitness/Entertainment: $1,101 – about 2.1% of total spending
Travel: $8,984 – 17.5% of the total! After 2.5 weeks in Hawaii, a long weekend in Omaha, 2 trips to where Mr PoP grew up, 1 journey to San Francisco and Burning Man, and a week in Ecuador, it’s nice to be home. =)
- Charity: $862 – more than past years, which was nice
- Tax Guy: $530 – a slight increase over past years, but still worth it, IMHO
- Total Miscellaneous: $10,376 – 20% of the total
- Total Personal Spending: $51,302
There isn’t too much of a surprise with these numbers, as by the end of the year, it felt like we had been trying to fit too much travel into our work schedules.
Looking Forward To 2017
Neither Mr PoP nor I have any desire to fit in the same number of days on the road, so we expect travel spending to be down. That said, I’ve got a fairly expensive week-long trip that I’m trying to plan for the both of us for late in the year that we won’t be able to travel hack our way out of the costs for.
We still anticipate having some “remodel” costs this year, some of which will go into the kitchen to finish it off (we really are close – I will update soon, I promise!), but will also be used to finish tiling most of the rest of the house. We have the tile, but we’ll need to buy the mortar, new baseboards, etc to install it all.
The other big item for 2017 is some sort of “fun car” for Mr PoP. He (and I, to a lesser extent) has done quite a lot of thinking about this plan over the past year and we think we *finally* have a game plan we’re going to stick with. But, we can’t do anything until we get our wood-pile out of the garage – which means a little more work on the kitchen before we can act!
Here’s wishing for the best in 2017!
How was your 2016 spending? Do you have any major spending plans for 2017?